VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2011

From:
marsha moses <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2011 08:22:11 -0500
Bill, Do you have any additional information on:

> Later he volunteered under Capt. Francis Shelton, of Henry, who was raising a force to put down the Tories, then causing alarm in the hollows of Dan River, on the North Carolina line.  Shelton's men visited persons known to be disaffected to the American cause and prevented injuries from tories.  The headquarters was with a tory named McGowan, who lived in Henry

Dates?  Specific events?

My Silas Wooten says in his pension application that he enlisted in March 1781 at Boyd's Ferry.  My own research shows that to be a Ferry across the Dan River about where the railroad tracks cross the river at New Boston.  Silas says that this was on the Roanoke River.

Silas called the Dan River the Roanoke.  A variant name for the Dan is the South Branch of the Roanoke River.   The question is:  Was Silas a local?  Was this river more often called the Roanoke in that time period than the Dan?

I also have a Jacob Elliott who lived on Pole Cat Creek on the border between Randoph County and Guilford County in NC in the period of the Revolutionary War who was involved with an incident with the Tories who came through his neighborhood.  Jacob was a Quaker and hoped to sit out the war.  The incident scared him and his family enough that they moved to Montgomery County, VA for safety for the rest of the war.  I am interested in knowing the time period that the Tories were particularly active in northern NC .....trying to recruit.....and other details to fill out my "story" in this time period.

In addition my Salmons family and Hensley family would have been living in Pittsylvania/Henry area in this same time period.  I have reason to be interested in any information about when and details of anything anyone has on these events.   Marsha Moses