VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2003

From:
Madaline Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 12:47:58 -0500
In 1802 I have an ancestor in Frederick Co, VA who borrowed
money using the following items as collateral: " a wagon and
team consisting of four horses with geers consisting of five
pair and a fifth chair (or pair), Bearskins, also, a
jackscrew and tent (or ten) bags" for four hundred and fifty
dollars."

A researcher on another list says this means he was a drover
and probably "drove" up the valley and into PA and then west
to Ohio.  (It seems to me if this pioneer who lived west of
Winchester...is driving anything... would have taken the
route that is now Rt. 50 over to Ohio.  It is a lot shorter.)

My feelings are...drover or not, in this time frame he
probably would have used his team and wagon to take valley
products to points east thru MD...the points being
Alexandria or perhaps Baltimore.

In the 1850 census his grandson's occupation is listed as
an "waggoner".

Can anyone give us some background on drovers and waggoners
in the early to mid 1800s in the Shenandoah Valley?
Thanks,
Mitzie

Madaline H. Preston