VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2009

From:
Wood Patricia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wood Patricia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 18:30:19 -0500
I have been researching the Michael Woods family for some time as my
Wood family was also in Botetourt County.  A great/great aunt had
linked our family to this line but I have not been able to find a
definite link.  The only thing I've thought possible is that my line
comes from Charles Woods, a brother who is said to have died and his
children were raised by Richard Woods.  The oldest son of my Joseph
(born about 1740 died 1816) is named Carlos (born 1766) (Charles).
Other children are in order:  Carlos b.1766 m. Priscilla Holloway then
Glassery Bailey, Mary b. 1768 m. John Stull; Elizabeth b. 1770; Lucy b/
1772; Ann and Martha b. 1774 Martha m. Thomas Moore; William Edward b.
1777 m. Susannah Gilliland; Thomas b. 1780 m. Sarah Davis; Sarah b.
1783 m. William Rowland; Joseph Thomas b. 1786 m. Amanda Haynes;
Francis b. 1789 and James H. b. 1790 m. Elizabeth Crenshaw Davis.   I
currently live in Rockbridge County where Woods Creek is located near
where the Richard Woods family lived.

I would appreciate any information from Wood/Woods researchers that
might help.
I  have seen where my Joseph Wood has been linked to the Bennett Wood
line.  There seems to be a possible link with John Wood who was in Pr.
Edward/Charlotte county and then went to Bedford.  Our line also seems
to be related to James D. Wood who married a Watkins in Charlotte
County. Our line has also been linked to James Wood of Winchester.
Joseph Wood moved to Botetourt County about 1790 which could have
coincided with the death of an older relative in that area and
inherited land.  He leaves Pr. Edward/Charlotte about 1790.  He seems
to be living on land in Botetourt when he buys adjoining land in 1802.

He appears with his wife's family (Martha Epperson, dtr of Francis
Epperson) in Cumberland County where Joseph Wood and Francis Epperson
witness a deed of William Anglea.  He then appears in Pr.
Edward/Charlotte and then goes to Botetourt.
1754 Joshua Chafin to Francis APPERSON, both of Southam Parish,
Cumberland Co., 200 acres. [DB 2 PG 100]
Nov 1763 John CARDWELL to Francis EPERSON, 160 acres. John CARDWELL is
the father of Martha CARDWELL (b. 1754) who married Martha Epperson's
brother Thomas EPPERSON in Charlotte Co. [DB 3 PG 441]
May 1772 Francis and Martha EPPERSON deed to Bartlett ANGELEA 200 acres
ANGELEA is the name on the deed that Francis Apperson and Joseph Wood
witnessed in 1769, proved in 1778.  Both of Littleton Parish,
Cumberland Co. [DB 5 PG 52]
[Note - Littleton Parish was split off from Southam Parish]
May 1772 Francis and Martha EPPERSON deed to Charles LEE 114 acres.
Both of Littleton Parish, Cumberland Co. [DB 5 PG 57]
According to John A. Wood - "The Prince Edward County Deed Books record
the purchase by Joseph Wood, on June 22, 1776 of 100 acres of land in
that county from John Leigh for 12 pounds . . . On July 27, 1785,
Joseph bought an additional 300 acres of land from Samuel Arbuckle for
500 pounds.  The deed speaks of him as Joseph Wood "of Charlotte
County."

The Charlotte County Deed Books record four purchases and three sales
of land by a Joseph Wood  (1776 - 1790).  In addition, one of the
Constables of Charlotte County in 1783 was named Joseph Wood.  By 1785,
however, the census of Prince Edward County listed a Joseph Wood as
resident of that County, and described his household as consisting of
"13 white soules, 1 dwelling," and no other buildings.  This
corresponds to the size of the ancestoral Joseph Wood family as of that
date, plus two other persons . . .
Joseph Wood of County of Botetourt 26 June 1787  conveyed to Thomas
Read simple estate of 100 acres . . .whereas Martha, the wife of the
said Joseph Wood, cannot conveniently travel to our said County of
Charlotte to make acknowledgement . . .convey by William McClenichan
and James Mason, Gentlement Greeting, her relinquishment of all her
Right and Title of Dower to the tract of land.  On March 8, 1788 Joseph
sold 100 acres of his land, described as "on the Sandy River," to
Thomas Worsham of Amelia County for 27 pounds.  About that time he
moved his family to Botetourt County.
On September 1, 1789, Joseph, described by the Prince Edward County
Deed Book as being "of Botetourt County," sold 300 acres of land "on
the south side of the Buffalo River" to Daniel Boice of Powhatan County
for 225 pounds.  Presumably this was the last of Joseph's Prince Edward
County holdings.  His last sale of Charlotte County property was in
1790."
In 1787 Thomas Epperson of Charlotte County sold land to Elijah Clark
land upon which Joseph Wood had lived .  . . Witnesseth that the said
Thomas Epperson for and in consideration  of the sum of Sixty Pounds
Current Species of Virginia to him in hand paid, the receipt of which I
do hereby acknowledge, hath bargained, sold, aliened, and confirmed by
these presents doth grant, bargain, alien, sell and confirm unto the
said Elijah Clark one certain tract or parcel of Land, situate lying &
being in the said County of Charlotte on the head branches of Dunnivant
Creek the tract of land whereas Joseph Woods family lived containing by
estimation one hundred
Joseph Wood deeds Charlotte County Deed Index

Feb 6, 1776     Jos. Wood from Caleb Baker              3 596
Oct 4, 1779     Jos. Wood to Francis Caldwell/Cardwell  4 163
Sep 20, 1779    Jos. Wood from Caleb Baker              4 155
Apr 10, 1780    Jos. Wood from Francis Epperson         4 230
Mar 6, 1786     Jos. Wood from John Whitten             5 174
Jun 26, 1787    Jos. Wood to Thos Read                  5 195
Apr 10, 1789    Martha Wood to Thos Read - rel          6 61
Aug 5, 1790     Jos. Wood to Josiah Legrand             6 118

Thanks for any leads,
Patte Wood