VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2002

From:
lacenter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:38:36 -0400
My gggg-grandfather Samuel Bates was an American Revolutionary War patriot.
His son John A. Bates was born in VA about 1794. All I know about Samuel
appears below in the excerpt from GOODSPEED BIOGRAPHIES AND MEMOIRS OF
NORTHEASTERN ARKANSAS article on John N. Bates (a transcription of the
complete article appears on this web site: ). John N. Bates was the brother
to my gg-grandfather Jasper M. Bates and was the son of John A. Bates. There
is a lot of information, but I am not sure what VA records still exist to
help me find out 1) where John A. Bates was born and 2) which Samuel Bates
was his father.

"The paternal grandfather of John N. Bates, Samuel Bates, was a soldier in
the War for Independence, and served first, until the battle of Lexington,
when he was captured by the English, and kept prisoner for three months. He
then made his escape. He was a silversmith by trade, and the English kept
him at work at his trade while a prisoner. He then joined the army again,
was at Yorktown, and was present at the surrender of Lord Cornwallis. After
the war he located in Virginia, where he reared his family. He worked at his
trade and became wealthy, owning many negroes. In 1807 he moved to North
Carolina."

I'd appreciate anything you can tell me that might help me narrow my search.
I'd also appreciate recommendations about records that still exist that
might help me find the answers I'm looking for. Some possibilities that
occurred to me are

- military records (these are incomplete; many people who fought in the
initial battles are unknown; there are many Samuel Bates)
- prisoner lists kept by the British (but I'm not sure there are any for
prisoners taken this early in the war)
- tax lists, business ledgers
- researching all known Samuel Bates regardless of where they were from to
see, if possible, 1) who stayed in a given area or left and 2) who enlisted
twice and was at both the battle of Lexington and surrender of Cornwallis.
It is not clear if Samuel was from VA or somewhere else. It also was not
clear if Samuel was or was not a soldier when he was present at the
surrender of Cornwallis.
- court house records (births, deaths, probate, wills, land transcations)
- antique silver experts
- tradesman organizations, suscriptions
- cemetery records/headstones
- church records (Samuel's grandson John N. Bates was Presbyterian. I don't
know what Samuel was.)
- slave records, christenings
- old books, Bates genealogies and histories, bible records

Thanks in advance for any help you can be.

Lee Anne Center