VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2002

From:
Madaline Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Madaline Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 09:16:19 -0500
Since the list is soooo quiet.....

Richard Henry Lloyd (c. 1815-1883) was the son of John (1775-1857) and
Rebecca (Janney) Lloyd of Alexandria, VA. [John's mother was Sarah Harper,
d/o John and Sarah (Wells) Harper of Alexandria.]

On the bottom of a desk ...that has come down from the family of R.H.
Lloyd... was a label that says "This desk belongs to Richard Henry Lloyd.
A duplicate desk belonged to Abraham Lincoln who was grandfather Lloyd's
lawyer."  This label was undoubtedly place there by his daughter, Elizabeth
(Lloyd) Crenshaw when, due to illness, she gave up her home and placed her
furniture in storage.  Lincoln must have been Richard's lawyer in Illinois
or at least prior to Lincoln's arrival in DC.  I find it curious though
that the desk, in the "plantation" style, is exactly like a desk made in
the 1800s by the Greens in Alexandria.  Maybe Lincoln bought the desk in VA
after his lawyer days in Illinois. Who knows??

Richard Henry Lloyd had married 1st, Mary Fife and their daughter was born
in 1845 in Vermont, Fulton Co., IL.
I would like to find out what took Richard Henry Lloyd to Illinois.

This is not my family line so none of the above Lloyd data has been
verified by me...except the desk information.  My curiosity is in regard to
the furniture (not the desk) that had been placed in storage as I believe
several pieces are now up for sale.

Just curious.  Mitzie

--
Preston, Madaline H