VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2001

Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 05:49:45 -0700
I sent a message to ancestry.com asking whether they had stopped allowing free access to their new databases.  This is an excerpt from their response:

"Dear Scott Simpson,

"Thank you for your e-mail.

"The following notice regarding free databases was sent out in the April 26th issue of the Ancestry Daily News:

"As you know, Ancestry.com is supported for the most part by subscribers who are allowed access to fee-based portions of the site.  Their subscription dollars not only fund our databases, but also all of the free services that many of you have found useful in your ancestral searches. These services include the Ancestry World Tree, the Ancestry Daily News and Weekly Digest, RootsWeb.com and its many services, FamilyHistory.com, MyFamily.com, the Ancestry.com Library, the Research Registry, Surname Communities, and all of the free databases on the site, such as the Social Security Death Index (SSDI), Residential listings for the U.S., Canada, and Europe, and WWI Civilian Draft Registrations, to name a few.

"Previously Ancestry.com also offered a free preview of subscriber databases for 10 days, which allowed many to use the subscriber services of the site without paying for a subscription. To better serve our paying subscribers, beginning 8 May 2001, Ancestry.com will no longer be offering free access to its newly posted subscriber databases.

"Ancestry.com will continue to offer FREE open access to all user submitted information as well as other information we are able to post, digitize, or acquire at minimal costs. All free databases and services will remain free, and Ancestry.com will continue to post donated data to the free areas of the site.

"This change will also allow for better integration of all new information within our existing subscription or open-access framework as soon as it is posted to the site...."

Scott

http://www.shopping.altavista.com