VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

From:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:12:56 -0500
And hurray to you both, Barbara and Joanne, because you both understand the
workings and the value of DNA in conjunction with family history. In the
Jefferson-Hemings-Woodson DNA test, the Woodsons were always adamant that
their ancestor, Thomas Woodson, was a son of Thomas Jefferson and they have
written books and in tv appearances and TV Specials (Ken Burns Jefferson
series), stated this as a fact. A descendant garnered 13 pages in the Johns
Hopkins University Magazine outlining this long held belief and she even
insisted that her father, Judge Robert Cooley, be buried in the Monticello
Cemetery.

The wise leadership of the Monticello Assn.(Thomas Jefferson descendants),
after careful study of the Woodson oral claims, found there was no basis for
approving the request. The Woodsons were so sure of their legacy that they
requested ANOTHER test which also proved NO match. Yes, using DNA does present
some problems as Barbara has outlined. Oral history can only be used as a
guideline.

Herb Barger
Jefferson Family Historian

Hurray for your courage, Barbara. .  I wish there were more researchers like
you. You have the assurance that you are climbing the right family tree
instead of embrassing unproven folk-lore.

  Joanne

In our family we had the family legend of a particular line being Indian.But
no real records to prove
anything. I decided to go with FamilyTree DNA and have a DNA test.
Barbara