VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2006

Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 09:21:07 -1200
----- Original Message Follows -----
From: Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: When are internet documents considered
accurate?
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:38:10 -0500

Good afternoon,

I am not a learned historian nor am I an expert genealogist.
I respectfully submit that Ronald Reagan once made a
statement that can apply to all facets of our lives,
including genealogy and history: "Trust, but verify."

Here are a few examples.

1.Using a magnifying glass you decipher the writing on an
original census record. Later you discover that the census
taker was semi-literate and his information is contradicted
by the family bible. Another source is needed for
corroboration, and even with that, we may never be sure.

2.Here's a personal favorite. A turn-of-the-century
biographical history book about West Virginians advises that
my gggg grandfather was "cupbearer to the king of England."
The history book reads like an official document, smells as
ancient as the old boy himself    and speaks with
unequivocal authority. I could spend the rest of my life
trying to verify the claim. No thank you. I use the tidbit
as an anecdote, not as evidence.

3. Somewhat less difficult than historical documentation is
collecting information on living people. That said, I can be
reasonably sure that any document found within 200 miles of
the mere mention of the name Ward Churchill is probably as
bogus as his tribal membership.

By the way, in the late 1990's, the Library of Virginia list
was, at times, a barroom brawl. I highly recommend the
archives for valuable information and belly laughs!

Bill Hobbs

gggg grandson of James CHRISTY, cupbearer to George III. Or
not.

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ma/county/hampden/spfld/records/vr.html