VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2013

From:
"Metz, John (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2013 16:57:36 +0000
Ms. Bruce,

Unfortunately, I do not think I can be of much help with either query, but I was able to find a couple of things.

1. Ironically, I am from Missouri, and my father is buried at Jefferson Barracks.  I also grew up with a keen interest in Missouri during the Civil War since I had relatives who fought on both sides - at least two of my confederate kin were guerillas whose death dates and resting places are yet to be discovered...they just drop from the records, and there is plenty of family lore that attempts to fill the void.

My understanding is that around 1,000 Confederates and political prisoners are buried at Jeff Barracks, most of whom were re-interred after 1869 from Arsenal Island, Quarantine Island (an Island in the Mississippi where small pox and yellow fever patients were sent), Bethel Church cemetery, and Wesleyan Church cemetery.  I am not aware of any soldiers whose bodies were shipped west to be buried at JB unless the family made arrangements to do so. The Sterling Price Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans has a very good roster of the Confederates known to have been buried at Jefferson Barracks: http://www.pricecamp.org/jbgraves.htm.  On a whim, I checked "U.S. National Cemetery Interment Control Forms" on Ancestry and they list "Alx C. Thompson" as a "refugee" at Jefferson Barracks who died on 26 September, 1864 and was interred the same day, so I don't think this is your Alex.

2. As for your second query, your cousin would not be listed in the separation notices since he died while in service.  Lyn Hart, head of State Records and Private Papers, suggested that the only other place where he may possibly be mentioned is in the "WWII History Commission's Personal War Service Record of Virginia's War Dead, 1941-1946" (accession 24805). That said, I'd be hard pressed to say that we would have anything that would not already be included in his official service record.

All the best and Good luck,
John