VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2007

Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2007 12:05:35 -0400
I get the digests, so I don't know if anyone has already posted this information to the lists this morning.  Late on Friday afternoon, the Governor's office e-mailed the letter below to state employees regarding the royal visit.  Street closings on May 2 and 3rd are detailed, as well as Capital Square area building closings on May 3.  Note that the closed buildings include both the "Virginia State Library" and the "Patrick Henry Building" (the old Virginia State Library).  So, it sounds like the Library of Virginia will be closed on the 3rd, even though they used the wrong name.  I'm sure LVA staff will be posting to the lists to let patrons know what's going on, but list members may need the other details in this letter.

Also, according to the Department of General Services website, the official ribbon cutting and rededication of the State Capital is scheduled for 10:00 AM on Tuesday, May 1, followed by opportunity for tours.  Everyone is invited.  There's "An Invitation to All Virginians" on the website. The reopening seems to have been overshadowed by the royal visit, so I haven't seen any publicity on the reopening except that it is on the Governor's announced schedule for the week.  With security considerations for the royal visit, I doubt that the general public will be allowed inside the building Thursday (maybe after it's all over).    http://www.virginiacapitol.gov/

Between the rededication and the royal visit, Capital Square has been very busy.  The grass is back, and new, blooming azaleas and mulch have been added this week.  The grounds are really starting to look good.  I don't remember the building ever looking so bright and clean -- and that's just the outside.  I'm anxious to see the renovations inside, and plan to be there Tuesday morning.

Rosanna Bencoach

---------------

April 27, 2007

Dear Colleague:

Due to the upcoming State Capitol visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, II and His Royal Highness, Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, downtown state office buildings around Capitol Square will be closed for security reasons all day on May 3rd, along with certain streets adjacent to Capitol Square. The following information relates to aspects of the Royal family's visit.

Employee Recognition Leave

In recognition of this historic occasion and to celebrate 400 years of public service in Virginia, I am granting eight hours of recognition leave to state employees across the Commonwealth. Employees located in buildings adjacent to Capitol Square that will be closed on May 3rd must take the leave on May 3rd. All non-Capitol Square employees should take the recognition leave by June 30, 2007, and are encouraged to use the leave to volunteer and/or participate in Jamestown 2007 commemorative events.

Building Closings

The buildings listed below and parking lots in the Capitol Square area will not be accessible on May 3rd. If you have extreme circumstances requiring access to your building, please provide specific details to your designated agency's DHRM HR consultant no later than noon, May 2nd. Buildings to be closed are:

        a.. 9th Street Office Building
        b.. Aluminum Building
        c.. Central Highway Building
        d.. General Assembly Building
        e.. Highway Annex Building
        f.. James Madison Building
        g.. James Monroe Building
        h.. Jefferson Building
        i.. Memorial Hospital Building
        j.. Morson Row
     a.. Old City Hall
        b.. Oliver Hill Building
        c.. Patrick Henry Building
        d.. Pocahontas Building
        e.. Powers Taylor Building
        f.. Rose-Lafoon Building
        g.. Supreme Court Building
        h.. Tyler Building
        i.. Virginia State Library
        j.. Zincke Building

Street and Vehicular Access Point Closings

Beginning at 7 p.m. on May 2nd until 7 p.m. on May 3rd the following streets will be closed:

  a.. Bank Street between 9th & 14th Street

  b.. Franklin Street between 8th & 9th Street

  c.. Grace Street between 8th & 9th Street

  d.. 10th Street between Bank & Main Street

  e.. 12th Street between Bank & Main Street

  f.. 13th Street between Bank & Main Street

Beginning at 7 p.m. on May 2nd until 8:30 p.m. on May 3rd the following streets will be closed:

  a.. 9th Street between Main & Broad Street

Beginning at 7 p.m. on May 2nd until 7 p.m. on May 3rd the following streets / state lot access points will be closed:

  a.. Governor Street at Broad Street (includes Old Grace St.)

  b.. Old 14th Street at Broad Street - VDOT Lot Entrance

  c.. Entrance to State Lots 7 & 14 off Broad Street

Beginning at 7 p.m. on May 2nd until 7 p.m. on May 3rd the following street parking will be restricted:

  a.. The south lane of East Bound Broad Street between 9th & 14th Streets - adjacent to Capitol Complex

Additional Information

For additional information, please visit the "Queen's Royal Welcome" Web site.

      Sincerely,
      Timothy M. Kaine
      Governor