VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
Lou Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:55:44 -0500
I am up against the proverbial brick wall, and badly need some help
from someone who might have a missing RICHARD THOMPSON and/or ANN
FLEMING who fit the following profile.

RICHARD H. THOMPSON, b. ca. 1800-1810 where???; d. Dec. 1846 in
Galveston, TX; m. 1) ANN FLEMING ca. 1830 where???, 2) Susan (Drew)
Berry ca. 1837 in Claiborne Parish, LA.

Children (Ann Fleming):
1. George Cumberland Thompson; b. 21 Apr 1831; d. 22 Apr 1914; m. 1)
Arena Pool 23 Jun 1854, 2) Mildred Toliver 29 Jan 1891
2. Narcissa Thompson; b. 24 Oct 1832; d. 16 Nov 1886; m. Shadric
Lafayette Reed 15 Jul 1847

Children (Susan (Drew) Berry):
3. Sarah Jane Thompson; b. ca. 1838; m. 1) Robert M. Knox 7 Feb 1858,
2) Elias Land (aft. 1860)
4. Richard Thompson Jr., b. ca. 1842 (may have changed his name to
Oliver Clarence Thompson and died ca. 1864)

According to the claim of his oldest son in the 1880 census, RICHARD
H. THOMPSON was born in TN, while ANN FLEMING was born in Ireland.
However, according to his oldest daughter in the 1880 census, RICHARD
H. THOMPSON and ANN FLEMING were BOTH born in VA. His youngest
daughter did not know where either her father or mother were born, so
she left that item a blank in the 1880 census.

The first record I have of RICHARD H. THOMPSON is when he appeared in
the town of Minden (now Webster Parish, but then Claiborne Parish),
Louisiana about 1836-1837 as a hotel keeper.  This must have been
about the time, or shortly after, that Ann Fleming died.  I have not
found them in the 1830 census such that I can recognize them.

Hours and hours of searching through one of the better genealogy
libraries in the country, and I simply have been unable to find (or at
least recognize) a solid clue of where he came from, who his parents
were, where he & ANN FLEMING married, etc. I strongly suspect that he
might have been a Virginian by birth, but lived for a while in
Tennessee where he possibly married Ann Fleming. But that's nothing
more than a hunch.

If anyone knows of a RICHARD H. THOMPSON, or knows of a "missing" son
Richard, or Richard H., Thompson who might fit the above profile I
would dearly love hearing from you.  Or if anyone knows of a "missing
daughter" ANN FLEMING who might have married a Thompson, I'd equally
like to hear from you.  I'll be glad to share details of what I know
about the couple and their children in return.

Lou Poole, Richardson, TX