VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

From:
Poldi Tonin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Poldi Tonin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:35:32 -0600
In Mississippi folks take the records that have their family names on them
as if they are personal property. Hence, the lack of records available to
researchers. Also several counties have prohibited microfilming by FHC. What
a crying shame!

In Texas and Louisiana, many if not most areas laminate the documents and
also microfilm them and they then can be easily searched and photocopied or
photographed.
The only "problem" is handling the books which are lead bound for fire
protection and so very heavy. But we are so happy to have access to the
records unlike other states which keep their records away from the public
and easy access via microfilming.

This is the 21st Century and archives really need to get real about making
records available to folks who cannot travel across the country to look at
deed books, etc.

Tree Mother

--

"She is insane, of course. The family history has become a mania for her."
Hercule Poirot

http://www.FrontPorchRockerNews.blogspot.com

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Langford
This project includes Lankford spelling also.

"Truth and reason are eternal. They have prevailed. And they will
eternally prevail; however, in times and places they may be overborne
for a while by violence, military, civil, or ecclesiastical."
--Thomas Jefferson Thomas Jefferson, 1810