VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2012

From:
Janice Friel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2012 08:48:48 -0400
Do you know if there is a list of students that went to William &  Mary in
those very early years?

janice

In a message dated 7/24/2012 8:34:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  Janice:

The answer is no.
Privilege children had either a  in-resident tutor (many indentured) or were
if males sent to England for  their Education. Gradually tutors advertised
in the Virginia Gazette that  they were available and taking new students.
If studying medicine the males  were sent to Edinburgh Scotland. After the
college of William & Mary  was created males were sent there for education
at what we would consider a  very young age for a college student.

Public education in Virginia was  still a rarity in Virginia as late as the
late 1800s and a study of county  by county would be required to find when
public education became the norm  in Virginia.

Tree Mother

http://listlva.lib.va.us/**archives/va-roots.html<http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html>

--

"She is insane, of course. The family history has become a mania for  her."
Hercule  Poirot

http://www.FrontPorchRockerNews.blogspot.com

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Langford
This  project includes Lankford spelling also.

"Truth and reason are eternal.  They have prevailed. And they will
eternally prevail; however, in times and  places they may be overborne
for a while by violence, military, civil, or  ecclesiastical."
--Thomas Jefferson Thomas Jefferson, 1810