VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2007

From:
Yvonne and Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yvonne and Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 02:01:08 -0400
Hi Lucretia,

Thank you for submitting your correction for the CARRICO surname. Many times
we find the handwriting to less than desired, making the indexing more
difficult than we would like !! This can be especially true with the "hump"
letters. M's, N's, R's, E's and I's can sometimes all look the same.

We started our website by using photocopies of the microfilms. Photocopies
were only made of the year that we used for our tax list census. Photocopy
expense was the determining factor. So when a surname was questionable we
had no other tax list to use for comparison. This applied to the Fairfax
"1790" census images. And we took our best shot.

Now things have changed since we created our own microfilm scanning system.
We scan the whole microfilm. We have all the years to use for comparison
now, for the counties that we have scanned. Fortunately Fairfax is one of
those scanned microfilms. We have the years 1782-1805. We looked at those
additional years and found an early 1790's tax list that clearly has CARRICO
written.

The "1790" Fairfax County index has been updated and uploaded to reflect
this correction. Our 1790 Master Index has also been corrected but not yet
uploaded. We have over 30 counties that we haven't indexed yet. Our Family
History Center is closed for almost 4 weeks at Christmas time and we will
index as many of these new counties as we can and update and upload the new
Master Indexes at that time. Your corrections will show up then and the
search engine will find the CARRICO surname instead of the CANICO surname.

Thank you very much for your submission !!

Steve and Bunny
Binns Genealogy CD Series
http://www.BinnsGenealogy.com/