VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2004

From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:15:54 GMT
I am now involved in a project to bring part of my book, Notes and Documents of Free Persons of Color, to the big screen. The title of the film is, The Bowdens of Popes Creek. The main characters are Mary & Patty Bowden, who were Indentured Servants to George Washingtons father (Augustine Senior), and half-brother (Augustine Junior). The film will deal with the complexities of the relationships between Mary Bowden, and those surrounding her. Mary and Patty were important in my research, as they were on my direct female line.

The most important relationship will be the one between Mary and Patty, who were mother and daughter. That relationship was not without problems, as Patty was considered a trusted servant to the Washingtons. Mary was stripped of her rights upon the birth of Patty, when Augustine Senior was awarded Patty's indenture shortly after her birth.

The production team is excited about this project, and are working dilgently to have it ready for release ASAP. I am impressed with their creative drive, and professionalism. If all goes well the release announcement should be made early next year.

Notes & Documents OF Free Persons Of Color: Four Hundred Years Of an American Families History;
http://www.cafeshops.com/leboudin