VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2003

Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:53:22 EDT
Background: I am an amateur genealogist and very interested in history
especially of the Northern Neck of Virginia (I retired to Westmoreland County to do
research and return to my roots). I am in the process of completing The
McCartys of the Northern Neck
       In the summer, I live in a retirement community and have been speaking
to a 100 year old retired lawyer named Harold McIssac (I am a retired doctor
and yes, we do speak to each other). He tells me of his grandfather, one
George H. Murphy of Ligonier, PA who enlisted in Co. E, 11th PA Volunteers and was
severely wounded at Second Manassas and left for dead by his comrades.
Confederates picked him up, he was treated and returned to Ligonier where he raised a
(and was made captain) of Co. B , first battalion PA Vol. Cavalry. Some
gratitude- he recovered and then went back to kill the men who saved his life!
Anyway, I prevailed upon Howard to have his daughter bring all documentation and
she brought Murphy's musket, cavalry saber (beautifully etched), Colt pistol,
epaulets AND letters, muster rolls, etc.
       I think that this is worth a story but first I want to preserve these
bits of Americana. So, can anyone give me the address of an outfit that would
be in Providence, RI where archival boxes and folders may be purchased?
2. what is the best way of duplicating these papers so that they will not be
folded and refolded or handled at all and yet easily referred to for
documentation (i.e. the dangers of photocopying, etc.)
AND for myself:
I am unable to trace Winnefred E. McCarty, dau. of Robert W. McCarty of
Richmond Co. who was "underage" in 1828. She m. Dr. Samuel B. Carey of Gloucester
on 1 Feb 1856 but I have been unable to find either of them in 1850, 1860, 1870
census on computer at NYS Library.
       Her brother Robert W. McCarty (son of above) was born before 1831 and
supposedly was in Northumberland County after his father died but I can find
no trace of him there.
a second McCarty family: Georgeanna Washington McCarty b. after 1864 was
daughter of James Ball McCarty (1826-1888) of Lancaster County. She m. (?) Jerndon
and is mentioned in a Richmond Co. chancery suit LVA 120:48, page 22 on.
Her sister Frances Ravenscroft McCarty b. after 1864, m. a Joseph Morrow and
also disappears from Lancaster Co.
       Any leads would be appreciated. Thank you. William M. McCarty, MD