VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2012

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2012 17:49:17 -0500
Doris,

In addition to the "male Y chromosome test" that is "representative" of a
male (only) DNA donor, his father, his father's father, his father's
father's father, etc., there is also a "female test" (the mtDNA test) that
is "representative" of a male or a female donor, his/her mother, his/her
mother's mother, his/her mother's mother's mother, etc. (note: each of those
women will typically have had a different "birth last name" as well as a
different "married last name," so using this test presents an extra
"research challenge" for that reason).  There is now a third test that
anyone (male or female) can take, and it will show DNA "matches" to any
"biological cousins" who also took that test....male or female and
irrespective of their surnames....who share a common ancestor within about 4
or so "generations back" (this test apparently gets a little unreliable back
beyond 4 generations or so).  Using this test also presents an extra
"research challenge," since you will probably get matches to some surnames
that you never knew had any connection to your family (the same could also
be true, of course, with the above mtDNA test).  As this third test becomes
more popular, the "odds" of finding many "matches" will continue to
increase.  Family Tree DNA calls this last/third test the "Family Finder"
test.  I used Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) for my Y chromosome test.  That is the
same company that National Geographic uses for DNA testing, and I can highly
recommend them.

Bill D.