VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2003

From:
Conley Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Conley Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:00:39 -0500
As most of you know, the Library of Virginia maintains the official archives
of the Commonwealth of Virginia.  The state archives contains more than 91
million items documenting four centuries of Virginia history.

We have been monitoring Senate Bill 818 and want to reassure researchers
that safeguards exist through the state's records management program to
preserve the vital information contained in wills.  The Code of Virginia in
the sections known as the Virginia Public Records Act gives the Library of
Virginia authority to manage and direct records management for the
Commonwealth of Virginia.  This Code section governs the retention and
disposition of the records of the circuit courts.  As a result, circuit
court clerks in Virginia are either keeping the original will or creating a
facsimile of the original will.  This is standard procedure.  Senate Bill
818 would not change this.

We will continue to work closely with the state's circuit court clerks on
the requirements of our records management program to ensure that the
invaluable information in these records is preserved, assuring researchers
effective and efficient access.

We are grateful for the concerns you have expressed and will continue to
communicate and work with the Commonwealth's circuit court clerks on this
matter.  As the official state repositoty we are committed to the
preservation of the documentary hertiage of Virginia and do not believe
Senate Bill 818 as currently written threatens that mission.

Conley L. Edwards
State Archivist
The Library of Virginia
800 East Broad Street