VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2009

From:
William Milam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Milam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:50:45 -0400
The Test - The Test Act of 1673 in England obligated all persons filling any
office, civil or military, to take oaths of supremacy and allegiance to the
King; to subscribe to a Declaration against transubstantiation; and to
receive the sacrament within three months of taking office. In 1678 the
Declaration was extended to read :

"I,____, do solemnly and sincerely in the presence of God profess, testify,
and declare, that I do believe that in the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper
there is not any Transubstantiation of the elements of bread and wine into
the Body and Blood of Christ at or after the consecration thereof by any
person whatsoever and that the invocation or adoration of the Virgin Mary or
any other Saint, and the Sacrifice of the Mass, as they are now used in the
Church of Rome are superstitious and idolatrous."

The Test Act applied to officials in the Colony of Virginia as well. A court
record from King George County Order Book in 1723 provides an example
similar to the 1673 original form:

"I,___, do declare that I do believe that there is not any
transubstantiation in the sacrament of the Lord's Supper, or in the elements
of the bread and wine at or after the consecration thereof by any person
whatsovever." [1]

1. 4 JAN 1722/1723 Commonwealth of Virginia, King George County Order Book ,
78.

William Milam