VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2003

From:
Renee Dauven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Renee Dauven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:35:46 -0800
Scott,

        This is just my guess:

> 1. In 1775, 190 acres in Albemarle Co. were surveyed for Shadrick
> Henderson.  The survey bears the notation "Transferred to John Hammond
> pr ord."
        The notation was written in 1783 or later.

> 2. In 1783, the Governor of Virginia, in consideration of "one Pound
> Sterling Paid by Shaderick Henderson," granted the same 190-acre tract
> in Albemarle Co. "unto John Hammond Assignee of the said Shadrick
> Henderson."
        Shadrick/Shadrack held the land until 1783 at the latest, at which time
he sold it to to John Hammond who reaffirmed his ownership by getting a
grant in his own named.

> 3. In 1807, "Shadrack Henderson and Mary his wife of Albemarle County"
> conveyed the same 190-acre tract to David A. Reynolds.  There is no
> other recorded deed in Albemarle County in which Shadrack Henderson is
> a grantor or grantee, between 1775 and 1807.
        A document in this series is probably missing.  Either John Hammond was
unable to finish paying Shadrack or he died or left the area and the
land has reverted back to Shadrack...repossessed, so to speak.

> And why would someone pay for a grant to an assignee with the
> (apparent) intention of keeping the land for himself?
        If that was indeed what happened, than the assignee was possibly a
son-in-law, who in exchange for the land, was expected to care for the
aging parents.  However, if you have nothing else to show that this
might be the case, I wouldn't take this document as proof of a
relationship since it can more easily be explained as a repossession.

Renee L. Dauven