VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2001

From:
Herbert Farmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herbert Farmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 12:26:20 -0400
I recently purchased a Confederate Map for Stafford Co., VA completed on
31 October 1864 that is quite unusual in that it has people’s names
placed upon it in locations where they were located at that time. I was
particularly interested in a location identified on Eugene Scheel’s map
as Heflin that appears to be about 4 miles from the Fauquier Co., VA on
a direct line East to Aquia, Overwharton Parish, Stafford Co., VA. On a
road identified as Poplar Road that runs from Warrenton Road, South of
Hartwood, on North –Northwest to the Fauquier Co., VA border  I find the
following Surnames:

J. Heflin
M. Heflin
----Kearnes
Mrs. Kearney

Further East I find the following Surnames:

J. Heflin
J. Hickerson
J. Jones
------Fritter
Pritenett English
Mrs Butey
Rudey or Radey
Mrs. Butey
Mrs. Turner
Maddox
S. Harding
W. T. Patton
J. M. Moore
W. Honey
W. Masters
T. T. Fritter
-----Moore
F. Curtis
Ludwell
A. Jones
B. Embrey
C. Cooper
Dr. Stone
Mountjoy
Walter

These names are between what was described as Heflin (Scheel’s map) and
East to Ebenezer Church and Garrisonville. These are North of Acquia
Road.  If anyone can identify any of these families in this area in the
time frame of the Civil War I would appreciate any input. I am primarily
interested in the Heflin Surname and any of the surnames that
intermarried into the Heflins. There are many other names on the map and
if anyone is interested in a particular name, I would be happy to look
it up for you if you can give me an approximate location in Stafford
where I might find the name.

Regards, Phyllis.