VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2000

From:
marsha moses <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 20:05:16 -0400
Was this man and family any kin to George Cea/See who was massacred at
Muddy Creek near what is now Lewisburg, WV?  I am very interested in the
massacre that took place there in 1763 because of my connections to the
Clendenin family. I am not positive that the Cea/See's still lived at
Muddy Creek in 1763 as at some point land was acquired by Archibald
Clendenin ffom the Cea/See family.  But Anne Royall wrote about the
Massacre in her book Sketches of History, Life, and Manners  in the
United States.  Mrs. Clendenin survived after being captured by the
Indians and escaping.  Anne was interviewing her daughter when she wrote
the article that says: "Greenbriar County was settled by emigrants from
Augusta County, Va.  The first settlers were by the names of "Yokum,
Cea, Lawrence, and Clendening."  Cea settled on a place not far distant
from Lewisburg, called Keeney's Knobs.  Clendenin settled where Mr.
Ballard Smith now lives within two miles of Lewisburg ( I have a photo
of this spot as it is marked by a highway marker) Yokum settled Muddy
Creek". ....Anne then goes on to describe the Massacre and Mrs.
Clendenin's capture. ....then on page 63 she says talking about the
Indians and the captured group as they are making their way back towards
the Ohio River: "The Indians proceeded on to Muddy Creek and joined
another party, who were guarding the prisoners captured the preceding
day.  As they passed by the settlement of Cea and Yokum, Mrs. Clendening
discovered that they were likewise killed, and their wives and children
among the prisoners."  So if Mrs. Royall is correct, they indeed were a
part of the massacre at Muddy Creek.
    I am always looking for family connections to further enlighten my
understanding of the massacres that took place in that place in that
year.   Marsha in WV