VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2009

From:
Ted Delaney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:57:58 -0500
Does anyone know where I might find the proceedings of a Confederate court martial held on April 18, 1863, at the headquarters of the Army of Northern Virginia?

I'm not even sure any documents exist from this trial, but I did find proceedings from another court martial in 1864 online:

http://docsouth.unc.edu/imls/csaarmy/csaarmy.html

The punishments are very interesting.  They included being branded on the left hip with the letter "D" for deserter or "R" for rogue.  One Virginia soldier was ordered "to have the left side of his head shaved and to be made to walk before a sentinel four hours each day for thirty days, in front of the Brigade Guard House, with a board fastened to his back marked "Rogue."

Thanks for your advice,

Ted

Ted Delaney
Archivist & Curator