VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2002

Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 20:46:46 -0400
I am looking for information on David's Island Prison Camp in NY and on records kept by Dr. John Richard Raine of NC and VA.  This POW camp was for Confederate soldiers. One of my husband's ancestors was taken there when he was captured.  The following is info  I collected some time ago from another researcher.

"He was wounded and captured at Gettysburg.  Transferred to Davids Island in New York Harbor where he arrived July 17, 1863.  Transferred to City Point Va  Sept 16 1863."

"Dr. John Richard Raine (1835-1892) was a respected Wentworth (county seat of Rockingham county NC) physician for over 25 years.  He enlisted in Company G of the 45th NC Regiment and his report of the killed and wounded from the 45th during the Battle of Gettysburg is incomplete but does contain information not found in other sources."

Thank you,
J. Busic

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor