VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2013

From:
Gale Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:50:52 -0500
Robert, the newspaper had the same article today that was run two days ago. Different photo, same title. Yes we have newspaper issues.  But Robert, you should contact the HPL and the Madison County Probate Record Room and see what they have in your timeframe. I just helped a young lady get four generations of wills, right from the original books, back to her ggg grandfather’s.

But according to this one article, this is what is included in the 38 court record books and ledgers that were returned:

Deed books dating back to 1818
Superior and circuit court minutes dating back to 1811
A criminal docket from 1816
Orphan court proceedings from 1921-31 but not sure if this is the correct date or a typo.
Fifth District Chancery (Equity) Court of North Alabama records - no date
Private ledgers - no dates
Corporate records - no dates

I will do my best in the next week to discover what else is there and the dates.  If you missed the article, this will enlighten you. http://blog.al.com/breaking/2013/06/forget_the_overdue_fine_librar.html

Makes me pretty mad that grown men and women hid these public records for 60 years to prevent someone’s reputation from being harmed!! I now think much less of not just the man and wife who did not return them but his son and his wife also. At least the grandsons did the right thing!