VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2013

From:
Charlie&Sue Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2013 09:37:26 -0400
Why do we need yet another cemetery transcription web site?  And one that
charges us a fee to provide information?

From the limited searching I did, it appears that this is a cemetery
management tool that they are trying to sell to individual cemeteries.
It does not include the cemeteries of which I know that already have a
mapping tool/index on the internet.  And from the few cemetery managers
with whom I've spoken who do not have such a tool, this type of program
is extremely expensive, and they tell me that they cannot afford it, nor
can they afford to enter all their cemetery information into the
computer.

There are already several web sites that allow us  to search names across
multiple cemeteries at a single time.  The ones that come to mind are
www.findagrave.com, www.interment.net, www.billiongraves.com .

The only web sites that I can think of that provide name listings for a
single cemetery are the ones at rootsweb.com, usgenweb.com, the
individual city or county web sites that have links to their own
cemeteries, and the cemetery websites owned by a single cemetery or
groups of cemeteries.

Sue