VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2006

From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:05:58 -0400
Our recent discussions and arguments have displeased some subscribers,
as is quite evident, but it is not appropriate for subscribers to
attempt to police the behavior of other subscribers.

Va-Roots runs on automatic. All messages posted to the list go without
scrutiny directly to all subscribers. Every single time anybody employes
the Reply feature, the message goes to everybody, not just to the person
who posted the last message. If you wish to engage in a private
discussion with a subscriber, please collect the subscriber's personal
e-mail and send her or him a private message. Please keep this in mind.

If there is any need for anybody to comment on the behavior of a list
subscriber, I will do it, and I will do it privately, off-list.

We often discuss sources and how to interpret them, but we must also
remember that on some topics, such as the recent thread treating small
pox, the existing scholarship contains many discrepancies. What one
writer deduces from some evidence may be at variance with what another
writer deduces from that or some other evidence.  (Sounds like
genealogy, doesn't it?) Please be civil and not critical when discussing
subjects about which we do not all share the same data or perspectives.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us