VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2016

Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2016 11:47:10 -0500
                This is an update of any previous postings I may have made
to this list in past years.  Our regular mailing address was changed from
rural route to physical 911 address.  I have changed Internet Providers and
e-mail addresses several times. I still have the same phone number.  I am
subscribed to the LVA list through my husband's e-mail address which is
different from the e-mail address I generally use for genealogy.

After years of research even before the Internet and working with some other
Edmonds researchers from time to time, we still have not found documentation
to identify the parents of Francis Edmonds(a man) b. c. 1730 d. 1799 Wilkes
County, Georgia, with a will or found any documentation of the maiden name
of Rachel [_?_].

                I have taken the FAMILY FINDER and the MtDNA Plus tests from
familytreedna.com in Houston, Texas.  So far the matches that I think are
Edmonds have not answered my e-mails.  Has anyone on these e-mail lists
taken either of these tests.  Do a Dan or Vivian Cates appear in any of your
results?

I need proven parents for Francis Edmunds (a man)(Edmonds,Edmunds,Edmons,
etc.) who died with a will in Wilkes County, Georgia, before July 9, 1799,
when the will was filed for probate, leaving a widow, Rachel _?_, and naming
his children. My maternal grandmother was an Edmonds from Rayle, Wilkes
County, Georgia, though she grew up and lived out her life in the
Woodville-Durhamtown Community east of Union Point in adjoining Greene
County, Georgia.  She came from the Edmonds male line that stayed in Wilkes
County, Georgia.

A living descendent with the Edmonds surname has taken the y-DNA test with
no matches to anyone else with the Edmonds surname.  The paper research
shows that we are probably 5th cousins.

Francis Edmunds first appears in published records of Halifax County,
Virginia, in the 1770's buying from estate sales and having land on the
Bannister River as does his son, John, who married Winifred/Winney Buckner
dau. of Anthony Buckner and Amy Powell. Buckners and Powells are in the St.
Paul's Parish Register, Stafford County, Virginia. Their son, James Edmonds,
who was my ancestor, was born in 1776 in Halifax County, Virginia.

              Parts of this Edmunds/Edmonds family migrated to Wilkes
County, Georgia, about 1784-6. One daughter, Nancy Edmunds, remained in
Halifax County, Virginia, and married Dixon and Milner. One reference claims
that the Edmunds fought at the Battle of Kettle Creek in Wilkes County,
Georgia, in the Rev. War but I don't think that is true.  I think they were
still in Halifax County, Virginia, at that time.  Some other Edmonds family
information published in a newspaper in the late 1800's in Alabama has not
"checked out" for the early generations mentioned.

John and Winney Edmonds moved a mile or so east in Wilkes County, Georgia
and were in the new county of Lincoln. Wilkes County records indicate the
Edmonds had land on Newford Creek.  Most of this area was taken in to form
Lincoln County on the east side of Wilkes County.  They moved from Lincoln
County west to Oglethorpe County where James, John and Anthony Edmonds are
listed together on the 1820 census. They are the only Edmonds there on that
census in that county.  A probably son, John, Jr. seems to have stayed in
Lincoln County.  This John Edmonds, Jr. seems to have moved eventually to
Walton County, Georgia.

            My James Edmonds b. 1776 according to a burned Bible record
seems to have married twice once in Lincoln County and then to Sally/Sarah
R/Ross Bruce in Wilkes County, Georgia, in August, 1812.  My James Edmonds
b. 1776 died in Wilkes County, Georgia, before September, 1827.
Some of the information previously posted about Francis Edmunds is either in
error or the facts are put together wrong or my research is wrong. There are
a number of "strings" of Edmonds that seem to come out of Wilkes County,
Georgia, that probably go back to Francis, but the records are not there for
the proof.  Based on the 1776 birth of my James Edmonds, I estimate that his
father John was born somewhere around 1750 and that Francis Edmonds, the
grandfather, was born somewhere around 1730 figuring loosely 25-30 years for
a generation. Let me have your thoughts on the Edmunds/Edmonds of Halifax
County, Virginia. Was my Francis Edmonds connected to the Edmunds family
that still lived in Halifax County, Virginia?  Have never found a connection
there.

Vivian Toole Cates, Mound Prairie Ranch, S. H. 21 West, Alto, Texas, 75925
1-936-858-3801 v toole at exede. net <mailto:[log in to unmask]>   d b cates
at exede. net