VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 07:36:26 -0400
Sunday I took digital photos of 3 original photos from Sacred Heart Grammar School 1920, 1921 and 1928.  I will be posting the photos to the Norfolk Co., VA web site soon (but want to see if I need permission from the family or the church first).  In the meantime to get you salivating, I will list out the students in the photos (written in notes on the back of each photo).   The photos were donated or lent by the J.A. Albano, Sr. family; photographer was Ostroff Friedman Gaughan 159 Church Street Norfolk.  This is a downtown city church (as opposed to out in the old county).

the 1921 photo was of the entire school (with the priests leaning out the windows overhead) - no individual names given

1928 8th grade: back row from left, John Houlihan, Jack Hogan, John Drew, Albano, Ed Lawler, Mike Cannon, Steve Shambacher, Jack White; middle row from left, ?, Jack Lawler, ?, ?, Veronica Freeman, Frances Winstead, Hebe Ruggieri, ?, ?, H. D. Oliver, Frank Hallon; 1st row from left, ?, ?, -- Guttard, ?, Camela Annuziata, Clara Serra, Kathleen Cannon, ?, ?

1920 1st Grade: 1st row from right, ?, Jack White, Mike Cannon, Ed Lawler; 2nd row, ?, Camela Annuziata, ?, Kathleen Cannon; 3rd row, from right, Harry Oliver, Frank Hallon, ?, Albano, ?, John Houlihan, ?, Lawler (Emmet), Fr. Waters, Fr. Hatton.

I got everyone in the family mad at me waiting as I transcribed all of this; so I hope it's helpful for someone.  I also picked up a couple of directories that they were "recycling" but giving away to those who wanted them.  They aren't history yet, 1988, 1994 and 1998 but contained a lot of family history interesting to Norfolk.   My family never attended Sacred Heart (or so far in my research) but I will take anything like this that comes my way.  I was there, they were handing them out, I received (with a smile).  I have sent the parish an email requesting they donate a couple copies of the directories to the Kirn Library (main branch of the city of Norfolk's public library system).

As a suggestion to those of you in prior postings who were concerned that your family/genealogy postings are never answered, they can only be answered by people who may have the info in their works.  I find that the online tools of The Library are invaluable in researching my own family.  It takes time to plod through the digital cards but that is how YOU do YOUR research.  The best tool thus far to me has been the Henley databases; I recommend them to you.  On the other side for those of you with records, list out every now and then an entire section.  What I mean is, if you have found a parish directory from the 1800s (this is just an example), post to all of us the entire listing of names and information.  THAT is how we can help others best, I believe.  You have found your family but there are other names nearby.  It might be MY family.  I hope this makes sense.  And, btw, none of the names in the "recent" parish directory from the 1920s above contains any info about my family.  It was a good read, though!

Katie Holland