VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2009

From:
alyce hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 18:41:43 -0700
-Obviously I am quite late to this discussion of the DNA evidence and changing of the names but I am aware of an issue that continues even today. My husbands cousin wishes her son to use her maiden name as she has no male heirs in her family to continue the family name here in America.  SO years from now....someone will be asking the infernal question..WHY????   Especially since he has two half brothers he knows absolutely nothing about from his fathers first marriage???  Interesting  EH?  They will match him perfectly!  Sometimes there are perfectly good reasons families chose to change their names..at least in their minds at the time!

have a great research day.
Alice