VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2008

From:
"Wilson, Donald L" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wilson, Donald L
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:41:17 -0500
I checked the indexes to the 1986 and 2000 indexes to the Virginia
Genealogical Society Quarterly (correct title since 1984 is the Magazine
of Virginia Genealogy).

No one named Greenwood appears in 1986.

In 2000, the following names are in the index (all in the August issue,
none in November):
Greenwood, James, 234
  Samuel, 237
  Twyman, 237
  William, 237

These were all signators to the Ten Thousand Name Petition, a series of
petitions for religious freedom sent to the General Assembly in October
1776.  The original lists can be seen on the Library of Congress's
American Memory website.
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/repehtml/repehome.html.

James Greenwood is with an unidentified church (probably Baptist),
perhaps in Orange County.
Samuel, William and Twyman Greenwood are on another petition, apparently
members of Blue Run Baptist Church in Orange County.

FYI:  www.ancestry.com and Ancestry Library Edition (if your local
library subscribes) include digital images of volumes 1-35 of the
Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, 1963-1997. It's part of their
Newspapers and Periodicals section.

Donald L. Wilson, Virginiana Librarian,
Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center
  for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC),
Prince William Public Library System,
Bull Run Regional Library,
8051 Ashton Avenue, Manassas, VA  20110-2892
703-792-4540   www.pwcgov.org/library/relic