VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 07:08:54 -0500
Good question, Janet. While I have seen no case precisely on point, in keeping with the century-old rules involving events falling within the provisions of legislative acts (as primogeniture was), the courts look to the law that prevailed at the moment of the event.

We have seen that principle recently in the matters of the teachers having sexual relationships with children; no matter the age of a child when the illegal acts were discovered, the age of that child at the moment of the event is that by which an offender will be judged.

Anyone else seeing a case on all fours with Janet's question???

Paul