VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 07:34:42 -0600
Hi, Kathy. I have entered a couple comments following the asterisks below

  Greetings listers!

  I have a multi part quandary to put before you:

  Part 1 - I have a man "Tom" who in 1768 receives a patent on 393 acres.  The
  land is definitely and identifiably in northern Charlotte County (formed
  1764), however, it is identified as Brunswick.  Charlotte was formed from
  Lunenburg in 1764, which had been separated from Brunswick in 1746, which
  means the identification was 24 years out of date.

  ****  See below. Very probably, he or perhaps a predecessor owner of the warrant selected the tract to be patented, had the survey done, then moved onto the land.  The, as happened often, it was many years between that warrant and the issuance of the patent.

  Take a look at the survey I have posted at my web site (www.DrakesBooks.com  scroll to the bottom and click on "Document Of The Month".  That survey, intended to describe a portion of a patent, reveals that the warrant issued in 1767, yet the 1793 surveyor there states that the survey having been thereby completed, a patent could issue - 26 years later.

  Such time lapses between warrant and issuance of the patent were not uncommon.  I believe that set of facts answers your questions.

  What do you make of the fact that he doesn't show up in the tax record?

  ****  He quite usually was not taxable till the patent issued.