VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2005

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 10:36:58 -0600
HATCHER website: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/faq.htm
HATCHER DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hatDNA.htm
HALL DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hall/HDNAtest.htm
Researching: Cook, Hall, Hatcher, Miller, Shepherd, Timberman
"Genealogy without Documentation is Nothing" - Paul Drake

Paul and all,

I must admit this has been a fast-paced morning. My cousin is heading to SLC
next Tuesday and we are frantically making a to-do list based on Arthur
being identified as an executor.

The general word is that Buckingham is a burnt county and a real bear to
research, but this morning my cuz discovered this in the LDS catalogue...

Microfilm of original records at the Prince Edward County Courthouse in
Farmville, Virginia

The District Court was established in 1789 and covered BUCKINGHAM,
Charlotte, Cumberland, Halifax, and Prince Edward counties. In 1808 the
District Court was replaced by the Superior Court of Law. The Superior Court
of Law existed until 1831 when it was replaced by the Circuit Superior Court
of Law and Chancery. In 1850-1851 this court was replaced by the Circuit
Court.

Now this is probably old news to many of you, but it is the first we were
aware of this. And it does make me wonder how many of our very early
researchers who had to travel to the Buck county courthouse to find their
Hatchers (and failed), would have even considered that the records they
needed MIGHT have been in Pr Edward Co courthouse.

We are keeping our fingers crossed that we can find a few Hatcher gems that
may crack a door open.

Thanks a bunch!! You've made my day :-)

Nel