VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:52:05 -0600
Janet is most correct (as usual).  I have the "DayBook" of my physician G-gfather, in which he kept a record of his patients, charges and medications from the period 1841-1856.  As have many with their private materials, I have placed a copy of that privately published little book in several libraries, hoping that some researchers in the course of searching a name might find such medical records.  So, be sure to search the libraries of your "wheres" for "physicians", "medical records", and "medical societies"; no telling what you will find.

Janet's comments also lead me to remind others that where a decedent owned land in more than one county, very often there were "ancillary administrations" ordered in the county where that dead person did NOT live, since his assets there had to be disposed of, just as everywhere else.  I always check any county that borders that of a dead ancestor where I have reason to think he owned a good bit of land.  Then too, don't forget that "quit-claims" were the very common legal device by which siblings passed their undivided interest in lands inherited to their other siblings, so always check the deed records for at least a year after a death to see if any one child bought the land from the others.  Paul