VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
Timothy Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 08:31:31 -0700
As a relative newby to genealogy, I once accepted whatever Ancestry gave me.  I have spent a lot of time correcting things and probably still have more corrections to make and I gratefully accept corrections from others.  It is disheatening to discover all of the errors out there, but I do hope that they are a jumping off place for more research by the family members.  I have been blessed to have some professional genealogists in my family tree that have helped me in many ways.  You can't really blame the people who just respond to the TV ads and think everything is correct on ancestry, but if they continually to post incorrect information after some kindly correction, it is very frustrating.  On the other hand I had someone to contact me through ancestry, saying that his family tree was 100% correct and anything that did not jive with his info was an abomination - who is 100% correct?  For me the search for truth is half the fun!  Making my
 information as correct as possible and noting when it is possible, but not provable is about the best I can do.  Hopefully, someone will help me prove or disprove what I conjecture.  Let the search continue!