VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:40:38 -0500
Mr. Lou: The matter has nothing to do with hang-ups that I might have. I simply teach that we learn lineage by short explanations, those being much more valuable to the listener than any label I might borrow or cook up for that exact piece of evidence.

I understand your position, Lou, and appreciate it. Still though, I fail to see any value in doing other than telling me what you just did about the sources - Aunt Suzie or whoever.

By telling me that your facts are "circumstantial", do I know anything more that will help me determine the validity for myself? Have you told me anything whatever about the weight of the words of Aunt Suzie?  Of course not. But were you to tell me, instead, that it was she who said those words, am I not at the least a step closer to learning of the value of those words as evidence?  Can I not then at least investigate the credibility of Suzie?

As I see the problem we all have, any definitions that might be offered as to the meanings of such labels - "primary", "secondary", "hearsay", etc., etc. - are so highly subjective as to be of no value to anyone other than the user.

While you might declare the headstone I found to be hearsay, I would be every bit as much in my right in saying that the stone was the best evidence "I" could find as to that person's death.

So, is it hearsay because you say so?  Sure, but very often ONLY in YOUR mind, while I and 5 other researchers may view it as to a measure unreliable, yet the very best evidence we had found as to the death of that person.  That being the case, we might, when that stone is added to other facts, decide that the evidence was sufficient to declare the matter proven.

I think we are flogging a dead horse; if you find labels useful, by all means employ those.  I find such of almost NO value except in teaching (and very little, even then), hence I will continue in my approach to the subject.

By the way, I have yet to hear any satisfactory explanation or definition of those labels, especially "hearsay", "primary", and "secondary".  If anybody has definitions that are other than what I can find in any high school dictionary, and that will work for all of genealogy, please do pass those along.

Paul