VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2008

From:
Ann Avery Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Avery Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:35:45 -0500
I have to disagree about Ancestry. I pay for their full membership, and it
costs $.81 a day, less than I'd pay for a cup of coffee. HeritageQuest does
have scanned census records, and they are free at many libraries. The
drawback is that they are not complete, they do not have an index for 1850,
and the other indexes are for head of household only. Ancestry/s indexes are
far from perfect, but they have wonderful search engines for the census that
allow you to search with Soundex, wild card, first name only, place of
birth, age range, etc., and their indexes are for every name, not just
heads.

---
Ann Avery Hunter
Winston-Salem, NC