VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2002

From:
Madaline Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Madaline Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:28:20 -0500
I have just come across a 2 drawer empire style drop front desk.  In one of
the drawers there is a piece of paper that says it was "brought back from Mexico by Major Julius Hayden in 1848".  It goes up for auction this Friday
or Sat. at the Green Valley Auction in Harrisonburg, VA.  (no affiliation)
I'd like to see it go back to a Hayden ancestors.  I checked Google and found the following on Julius Haydens.

Anyone have knowledge of this person/LINE?

1.Texas was annexed in March, 1845, and in April of the next year diplomatic relations were broken off and war declared with Mexico.     "The
battle of Churubusco was now won but the fighting had been very severe and the losses correspondingly heavy. Our regimental losses were as follows:?Captain J. W. Anderson, killed; Captain J. R. Smith, twice wounded; Lieutenant Julius HAYDEN, severely wounded;"

2.[Report of Maj. Gen. Daniel E. Sickles, U. S. Army,
Commanding Third Army Corps.
The Chancellorsville Campaign APRIL 27-MAY 6, 1863.
 "Capt. George E. Randolph, chief of artillery; Maj. H. E. Tremain, aide-de-camp; Lieut. Col. Julius HAYDEN, inspector-general (major Tenth U.S. Infantry), and Capt. T. W.G. Fry, commissary of subsistence and aide-de-camp, are earnestly recommended for brevets." ]

3.[United States. Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands. Records
of the Assistant Commissioner for the State of Alabama, Bureau of Refugees,
Freedmen and Abandoned Lands, 1865-1870. Wash. D.C., The National Archives,
1972.
"....The collection contains all the records created or received by the Assistant Commissioner for Alabama. The Freedmen's Bureau began operation in Alabama in July 1865 when Brig. General Wager Swayne became Assistant Commissioner. Bvt. Brig. General Julius HAYDEN succeeded Swayne between January and August 1868."]

4. 20th Connecticut Infantry Volunteers
Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXV/1 [S# 39]
APRIL 27-MAY 6, 1863.--The Chancellorsville Campaign.
No. 267.--Report of Col. Samuel Ross, Twentieth Connecticut Infantry, commanding Second Brigade.
[ar39_696 con't]

IN PRIVATE HOSPITAL, Washington, D.C., May 8, 1863.
"When well into the woods, under a heavy fire of round shot and shell from the enemy's artillery, advancing under the immediate direction of General Williams in person, Maj. Julius HAYDEN, U.S. Army (serving on the staff of General Whipple, I believe)..."

-- Preston, Madaline H