VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

From:
Peggy and Keith dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2010 12:56:17 -0700
Marsha:  The traveling of far southern states would have been very rough since W.S. is only about 5 miles from the current eastern border.  It is only about 20 miles from Covington and 60 from Lexington.  This area mostly southern during the Civil War.  Although my most of my mother's family came from the Richmond area many years ago, there were very strong ties with the south.  I had many relatives that fought for the south.  On my father's side my g-g-great grandfather was captured and died in a prison camp at Gettysburg.  He's buried in a mass grave in Philly.  This is a very interesting place.  I lived on the old Kanawha Turnpike.  I have no idea how they did it but they did.  I live in Lewisburg.  My father's side of the family came from KY and were southern supporters and my mother's were Virginia blood.  I remember my grandfather had the same accent as Ward Burton (race car driver).  He carried that southern pride.  Although I
 had no control over where was born, I consider myself as southern.  Take Care Keith Dixon