VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:40:35 -0500
Hello, Kathy.

Though over the centuries there have been distinguishing characteristics
associated with these nouns, the word "indenture" in your question is
synonymous with "deed".  In still other contexts, it might be used in place
of the word "contract".

For as many centuries as we have had a legal system, ordinary transfers of
real estate from one to another have required that a "consideration" pass
from or in behalf of the person receiving the land to the person (or that
person's legal representative) conveying that land away.

With rare exception, the law does not give a hoot what that consideration is
or how much it is worth, if anything, so long as the person conveying the
land away is content - satisfied - with the exchenge.

So it is that you can transfer a tract of land to another in consideration
of one raspberry, three toothpicks, love received, or a dead rat, as you
choose, and so long as you are in your right mind and are satisfied with the
bargain, the law will consider the conveyance/transfer as made and concluded
and will not interfere in your transaction.

In your example you quote as follows: the person conveying away the land was
"...fully satisfied and contented and paid thereof...".   There is the
statement that reveals that the seller was happy with the deal and the
agreed consideration , and he can not later come back and say the
consideration he accepted when he made the trade
was inadequate.

Paul Drake JD  www.Drakesbooks.com