VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2012

From:
Diane S Sanfilippo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2012 02:45:59 +0000
The same thing happened all over the south - families and their dearly departed uprooted from the TVA to hundreds of large lakes, and most for purely entertainment purposes. As a child I watched one small town simply disappear as Lake Altoona filled, not knowing then that my ancestors' graves was supposed to be among those relocated - however there are no records where. ...and I imagine that most of us have had this happen. Was it worth it? I have mixed emotions.

Subject: Re: [VA-ROOTS] Hollow Folk

Ms. Manscill appears to have swallowed the party line, along with the
sinker and hook.

She states:  "The Shenandoah National Park brought help to an area
that was suffering from the Great Depression.  The CCC camps in the
Park brought jobs to young men who had little hope for their futures.
And the Park continues to help the growth and development of the
surrounding area."

The people driven off the land for the SNP were self-sufficient,
living simple lives.  They were not desperately "suffering from the Great
Depression."  Their lifestyle, being so simple, was not much changed
by the Depression compared with those whose lives were disrupted by
the loss of employment and purchasing power in urban areas.

From the perspective of educated, urban policy makers, the simple
lifestyle was backward, and poor.  Their attitude toward those whose
land ownership stood in the way for a recreational resource for those
who owned autos, was similar to that of whites describing Native
Americans as savages while forcing them off the land.

The residents owned the land in most cases.  They were paid a lump sum (not
generous) and made to live in an urban environment for which they were
unsuited.  Most of the land was acquired by the State of Virginia
prior to the 1930 drought and well before the creation of the CCC in
1933.  When the park was authorized in 1926, the CCC was not even a
thought.

The CCC camps brought men from other places (mostly urban) that were
suffering from the dismal economy.  They benefited, as do today's
hikers, at the
expense of the former inhabitants.

People with political and economic power imposed their will for their
own purposes on those who lacked such power, and used propaganda to
justify their actions.  Sic semper populus.

sharpe