VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:52:17 -0500
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: age when taken off rolls ??

Good question, L...  No, there was never an age "rule of law" in the American colonies.  The request for exemption of tithes was made to the county court and usually was informal, though formal petitions were often made by lawyers in behalf of those who sought relief.  Such requests were argued in open court, and an "order" ensued.  Notice also that the judge could grant such relief on his own motion, if he saw fit.

I am certain that many family members made the requests, since if they were housing the disabled or elderly tithable, they were responsible for his tax.