VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2016

Date:
Mon, 2 May 2016 11:32:30 -0400
I found this original document in Box 70 (1792) of Bedford County Judgments.
The record is entitled "Scale of Depreciation". It was in a separate folder
and not associated with any particular court case, although I believe it was
at one time.  I believe that it represents an estimate of the severe
inflation which occurred during the Revolutionary War years of 1777 through
1780.

As you might know, lawsuits for debt were blocked by an Act of the Virginia
Assembly from sometime in 1777 through 1782 - I haven't been able to find
the specific Act or the exact dates. But I have read the Bedford Court Order
Books through 1793 and suits for debt came to an abrupt halt in 1777 and
only began again in 1783. I suspect that this "Scale of Depreciation" was
prepared by a prominent Merchant active in Bedford - possibly Robert Donald,
John Hook, James Callaway etc. - who was attempting to collect old debts and
was arguing that the debt owed should be adjusted by the amount of
inflation which had occurred during those years. You may view the original
document at the link below:

http://www.milaminvirginia.com/X-Docs/Bedford%20Judgments%20B%2070%20Scale%2
0of%20Depreciation%201792.html

I would appreciate any comments about this issue, in particular details of
any Act of the Assembly bearing on these issues.

William Milam, MD
www.milaminvirginia.com