VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

From:
Shelley Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:58:57 -0400
 I think it is more popular then ever and the internet has made the biggest impact, but is not a substitute. I have learned over the years that people genealogy research for different reasons. One of the things is to have a love of research or digging and to stay motivated. It is nice to join lists like these but even better join your local historical societies, attend conferences, local workshops, and genealogy groups. This is where I learn the most, listening and learning from others, even though I am one of the old ones as well. If you need help, ASK the question...someone will offer an opinion, direction, and suggestion. It is best to have a partner, either a friend, family member as well to keep you going. For some it is finding the needle in the haystack. One thing for me is to stick to the basics of genealogy research, using the ancestry.com info, etc or like Tony Burroughs book (not just for African Americans) and I am sure there are others. It has kept me grounded on the basics and that tends to keep me asking questions and motivated. Good luck and keep diggin'. Shelley, Charlottesville

?Know your Roots, They are Long and Strong