VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2010

Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 16:03:18 -0500
Just a thought, Madaline.

Were the papers (recorded 14 years after the first set) located in the
same file/case number as the will?

It was my experience that anything to do with the estate of the
deceased was bundled together in one folder, so to speak. It might be
that someone familiar with the methods of filing used by the county
back then could comment here. There could have been plenty of
documents destroyed, too, as these would have been parish records just
before the revolution. I could understand how it could take that long
just to find where everyone went to after they scrambled to get out of
the way. I'm under the impression everyone who was a legatee had to be
accounted for before settlement could take place. If you didn't prove
if brother Herbert was alive or dead there must have been a petition
uou could put to the court to cover the situation, assuming the estate
had enough
money in it to cover the expenses.

You wouldn't be asking this if a second John Chambers had popped up in
the same county.

Janice