VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2005

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:21:28 EDT
Twyla,

When I was at the Franklin County Courthouse in January, I was told off the
bat that I wouldn't find the Chancery Court cases there as they were at the
Library of Virginia.  And indeed, the LVA Chancery Court website indicates they
have the files, but only from 1792-1929, which doesn't account for the first
six years of the county's existence (formed 1786).  I used that website's search
for spearpoint and prillaman and came up with nothing (I usually choose the
third option for surnames mentioned on the search, and then "starts with" on
the drop down menu, rather than "equals".)

I'd recommend you send an email to the Chancery Court staff regarding the
whereabouts of the first six years of records.  They always answer promptly
within hours.  <A HREF="mailto:[log in to unmask]">
[log in to unmask]</A>

Here's the URL:

Chancery Site Index:
http://www.lva.lib.va.us/whatwehave/local/chancery/index.htm

Counties where information is available (not all VA counties):

http://www.lva.lib.va.us/whatwehave/local/chancery/locality.asp

Search Engine for Chancery Court records (Franklin is in Southwestern
Piedmont -- you can't, sadly, do a one-time search of the entire state):

http://www.lva.lib.va.us/ChanceryWebQ/ChanceryBasicQuery.asp#basicdatastart

However, when at the courthouse, I also came across a second set of "District
Court" and "Superior Court" records, with what if I recall correctly seemed
to be debt lawsuits and theft cases, as well.  These included cases in the
region, Pittsylvania and Bedford at least (I didn't have time to study
thoroughly).   Your case could be in one of these as well.

As a footnote for any of you with Franklin County interests, the courthouse
is the most user friendly in which I have ever researched.   It was renovated
at some point, and has an addition, so that the records are all in one large,
open, airy and very busy room, with a couple of nooks (including one where the
wills, older court order books are).  There is nothing you have to reach by
climbing up ten feet in the air, and pulling out a 25lb book.

I highly recommend that you join the Rootsweb Franklin County list.  There
are more knowledgeable persons than I there, including several that live in the
area, possibly some researchers of your lines.

To do so, simply send an email as follows: