VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

From:
Clay Gullatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2010 12:05:18 -0700
Brent

Perhaps not in our lifetime but it is coming (I'm 74 so won't see it finished), the LDS is busy scanning and indexing as many state, county and world records as fast as they can. About 4 years ago they scanned the records in the Jackson County AL Courthouse. Last year I know they were doing the same thing in Georgia Counties. My Gullatts went from Fairfax/Loudoun County to Lincoln Co. GA to Jackson Co. AL. Gullatt is not a common name I entered in on their beta search and came up with 125,259 hits since they will give you the soundex hits, a lot of people had a hard time spelling it right.

From what they say their intent in to put the billions of records in their granite mountain repository on line. Many of those records will be linked to scans of the actual record. This would include all the state and county records as well as those in NARA. Many of NARA Records are being scanned and made available with Footnote.com now. They are also indexing records from around the world not just US records.

I know that some of the Tennessee marriage records are linked to scans of the actual record, it is their intent to do this will all the marriages records. Some states death records are also linked.

They have asked for volunteers to help indexed various records. The more volunteers the quicker the records will be on line.

They are indexing the entire US Census which will be on line free for all to use. Many states and years are already indexed.

I am not a member of the LDS but much admire their commitment to this task.

Clay