VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
Beverly Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beverly Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:08:28 -0400
I have read with much interest the post regarding Ancestry. I subscribe to
Ancestry and I use the information that I glean from them only as "possible
clues and not factual" [unless someone documents their findings]. I take
these clues and try to find documentation that would support what I have
found. For me they offer a lot that I can access from my home, such as the
census. It is great to set at my computor and be able to search so many
states and to also to search other records that are available at my finger
tips. Actually when you count up the motel fees and the gas used, copying
fees, etc. if you can access actual records on line it is great! I know I
stll have to travel from time to time but sometime it is not always easy
for me to get away. At times I have to depend on a genealogist in the area
to go to the Court house for a fee to do a search.
I do not submit my information, or anyone elses for that matter, to "any
websites" but I will share info from time to time. The only data I try not
give to someone I do not know is my parents and to the present generations.
If I share I try to back it up with where I obtained the data and if I am
not sure I always tell the person that it is only speculation and I do not
have documentation to support that theory, etc.
Now what happens to that data from there is out of my hands and I hope
people who see it will do the right thing and try to verify it before they
make a claim that such data is factual. With so many doing genealogy today,
to police it, in my mind, would be quite difficult and that is why everyone
should be most cautious in their research.
Bev