VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2013

From:
Diane S Sanfilippo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2013 22:02:35 +0000
Shirley -

Just a thought since I have run into similar situations in S.C. and GA...

Could this possibly be a mother/son i.e. Hardaway Jr. vs. either her brother or a nephew.

Women had few legal rights at the time and often a male representative had to take up the female's case, and since this would definitely effect a 'grandson', one of the sons went on record with his mother.

Just a thought but I have found the same in court cases involving issue of Mixed Blood (Cherokee in my case), although the dates were earlier than those you mention.

Have you been to the Powhatan County Courthouse? Wish I could help but am way beyond lifting those huge books - lifted too many in my time.

Diane S